Monday, January 4, 2010

This Is What I'm Talking About!





This morning getting dressed was a little agonizing. I wanted to wear something I've never worn so I picked an Old Navy olive cord mini ($24). I thought about just doing black sweater/black tights, but I mixed it up a little with a Trina Turk Blouse ($198) that I LOVE, but somehow never wear. It resulted in the outfit you see here - not too bad. Only took me 30 minutes of digging through my closet to pick it out.


When I get to work I see my friend Kim. She is wearing a spectacular dress with a cardigan and tights. I love it. And I KNOW for a fact no one else in the building is wearing anything similar. So she is owning her look today and I am jealous. So I quiz her - it's a Philip Lim dress and was about $500. This is a lot as far as I'm concerned until I realize I've been spending around 3 x that on clothes a month and don't have anything that spectacular in my closet. I could buy this dress, and still have plenty left over for shopping (or saving). Kim seems to know what I'm trying to figure out.

I'm making a note to stop by Philip Lim in SOHO tomorrow night on my way home from yoga. Can't hurt to look.

UPDATE: Dress turns out to be $675. EEK! Not sure I could go there.

1 comment:

  1. Interesting. My jaw dropped at the 500 price tag, but you have a point. Do you love your old navy cord mini as much as she loves her designer dress? Probably not. Will she own that dress 25 times longer than you will have your dress? Maybe? You can afford to buy better/trendier/more lovely clothes, but just a word of caution: no matter if you shop at old navy or soho boutiques, be more selective in what you purchase. Clothes at the $25 price are disposable to you. Don't graduate to a higher price point! Shop smarter, shop happier. Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete