Thursday, January 21, 2010

I'm Cheap Where It Hurts


So no outfit photo yet today. I'm sitting on a commercial set, which means anything nicer than jeans and a t-shirt is uncomfortable and impractical. Loose jeans too, since we eat all day. I will have a photo later of my Lady Gaga concert outfit.

On another note, I've been asking around lately for opinions on coloring my hair at home. Right now, I'm hard pressed to find someone to do my highlights for under $200 and since I'm supposed to get them done every 6 weeks it gets really expensive. I'm sure you can also tell from my photos that I haven't been keeping up on that! I was thinking since my hair is getting mousier as the years go on, maybe it's time to move up to single process color...and maybe I could do it at home.(side note: I would never do this without the help of a friend...I need someone in the room to blame when it all goes awry.)

Now, considering that you wear your hair every day and it's often said that a good haircut can make all of the difference in the world I have to ask myself "Why would I skimp on my color yet spend $15,000 on clothes without blinking?" I obviously have my priorities screwed up. I'd feel so much better with great hair everyday, but somehow I have a hard time parting with that money.

So, do I try to home color? Does anyone have any experience with home-coloring they can share?

Or, do I just spend the money on the hair knowing that I'll (hopefully) spend way less on clothes this year?

6 comments:

  1. I home colored pretty much the whole three years i lived in SoCal because I just couldnt afford it at a salon. And when I did let that stylist color my hair...she made me a blonde! Ok, not really a blonde, but from dark chocolate brown to honey caramel is practically blonde to me!

    I think home coloring is good in a penny-pinch, but i dont think it's all that great on your hair.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'd have to agree...maybe you can still switch to single process but just do it at a salon, cheaper maybe yet still professional?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know people who have it done at the salon, but just do touch-ups in between at home...sort of splitting the difference. And it looks great. Myself?? No way...I'll leave it to the pros.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I started home coloring a few years ago to save money. I have never (knock on wood) had a problem. I use a semi-per color that washes out over the month, much easier to color over. Use lots of good shampoo and conditioner. I also only wash every other day to keep the color looking fresh. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used to color my own hair and had hits and misses. I think it's hard for blondes, because it's either too ashy or too orange/brassy.
    That was 12+ years ago. I wonder if color has gotten better over the years? I've been thinking the same thing....

    Part of me feels like going brown, like I won't be able to eff it up as much. Lots to ponder...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Spend the money. Since you had your lasik eye surgery, you are saving tons of money on glasses and contact lenses. This is one area I don't skimp on. I've tried it (skimping) and myself esteem goes in the toilet. ...and we have almost identical hair color. NYC is more expensive than socal...I spend about $120 every 6 weeks...so worth it. (Kim V)

    ReplyDelete