Wednesday, January 27, 2010

"My grammy never gave gifts. She was too busy getting raped by Cossacks."

When I got dressed today I felt like I was channeling a little bit of modern-day Annie Hall, thus the movie quote for today's title. If you've never seen Annie Hall, check it out. It's a classic.

So, a couple of things going on here. It's a little hard to see in the photo, but the black sweater vest (BCBG,$160ish) has sequins on it. It's been hanging in my closet for three years in the "going out" section and has only been worn maybe 3 times. It always felt too dull for a night out. So today I moved it over to day wear. (What? Sequins during the day? Crazy!) I paired it with a white button down (Banana Republic, of course, $98); skinny jeans (BR again, $89); and my Black Naturalizer boots ($150).

The scarf is the detail I added that really spruced it up. It's also BCBG, and I bought it at least 6 years ago and have worn it once. And it's wasn't cheap - $129. It was one of those things that i liked in theory, but never had the creativity to wear. The fact that I am wearing it today with a black based outfit (it's rose with chocolate dots) is a major rule break for me. Brown and black were never to be mixed before. (the German in me is very strict!). I was far too worried about something matching than whether or not it just worked.

So lesson learned. Matching is not a style foundation, it's just using the Garanimals principle to get dressed.

3 comments:

  1. I see where you're going with this, but somehow i'm not convinced....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess I should have worn the floppy hat too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you look really great. I love the scarf. Brown and Black can be mixed just like Black and Navy Blue were. Very Cute.

    ReplyDelete