Monday, January 11, 2010

Challenge #2: Throwing money away.


What you are looking at here is about $1500 down the drain. This weekend I went through my closet and pulled out every item that I've NEVER worn. Some of that stuff has been in my closet for over a year too.

Here are the totals:
5 pairs of shoes
9 pairs of pants
3 shirts
2 sweaters
12 dresses
and 1 $350 hat

It's definitely between $1500 and $2000 worth of clothes just sitting there and taking up space.

Let's imagine what I could do for $2000. A week in Puerto Rico at an all inclusive resort. 6 months of on-on-one pilates and yoga instruction. 2.5 badass karoake parties with my friends at Sing Sing WITH an open bar. 3 trips to dallas to see my friends and their munchkins. Half a Cartier diamond pave trinity ring! Arrrrgggghhhhh! I want any of those things 10 times more than I want the unworn crap in my closet!!! I am angry at me. Are you??

So...why is this happening? You'd think the minute I bought something I'd be dying to wear it. But I'm one of those people who buys for "just in case" and "someday", and in the case of the 9 pairs "I'm planning on losing 5 pounds".

So, new rule. If I buy an item and don't wear it within 2 weeks - it gets returned.

I also plan to wear as much of this stuff as possible (as weather and the size of my ass permit) over the next month. If not they'll be prime candidates for my January closet purge.

Good God I hope I'm learning my lesson here!

6 comments:

  1. Purge, baby, purge!

    Now, evaluate those things you know you don't love. Pretend you're shopping all over again and seriously ask yourself with your new frame of mind--do I love this? If someone were wearing this would it catch my eye and make me jealous? The things that you are NOT in love with, sell them, and tell yourself it's as if you never bought them. The things you would "buy" again--wear them.

    In other words, don't wear it just to say you wore it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ....Lori makes good points, although before you totally purge, are any pieces perfect for anyone you know and love? (and seriously, that wasn't a hint....) just sometimes when I pull something out that I've never worn, when I look again I think it would really be great for X,Y or Z, but not me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate to say it but I can totally see you rockin the hat....

    ReplyDelete
  4. you should take pictures and post them, and you could do a little mini online sale here on your blog and see if any of your readers would want to buy, or, maybe you can do a monthly give-away of one item to a reader, maybe just because, or do a fun little quiz/interactive thing and have it as a prize.

    or you could sell it on ebay. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a new rule with clothes buying too, if I don't want to wear it the next day, then I know its wrong. New clothes should make you feel inspired and excited. You're right though, if it sits in your closet for more than a week unworn. It should be returned.

    ReplyDelete