Monday, February 1, 2010

Challenge #4: Edit, Edit, Edit

As we all discovered early on in this blog, I have way too much shit in my closet. Since the weather's been cold, I've noticed that I still rarely wear pullover sweaters. And yet, I have 20 of them. That means I could wear one every work day for a month and never repeat. Which would be cool, if I liked sweaters that much. But I don't and I honestly wear them about 2-3 times a month.

So the bottom line is, I don't need 20 sweaters. So I challenged my self to edit my collection down to 10. Cut it in half and donate 10 sweaters. It's cold outside; someone in New York could use those sweaters.

I thought it would be easy, but it wasn't. I kept pulling sweaters out of the donate file thinking..."what if I want to wear this with X outfit?" or "But this would be so cute with Y outfit!". Still some of these sweaters haven't been worn in a year. Why is it so hard to let go of clothes I'm not even using? It took me an hour to do this. Kinda ridiculous, no?

So I'm down to the 10 sweaters I think I'll wear the most (pile on the left) and put the rest in the donate pile (on the right). As soon as they went into the IKEA bag I'm schlepping to the Salvation Army this weekend I didn't miss them at all. It's like they were never there. To be honest, I'd be hard pressed to describe the 10 I gave away, and I just did this challenge last night.

So what is it about letting go to stuff I don't need, and sometimes don't even like? I know I'm not alone in this dilemma or The Container Store would not do such a robust business.

What would be hard for you to give up? Heaven knows I dread going through my shoe collection!

1 comment:

  1. I spend a fortune on bras and panties...I have too many! but can't cull them ( cos they don't go out of fashion I really have boxes of them)!

    ReplyDelete