Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Dressing your age - the age old dilemma.

I thought Madonna was an appropriate photo to launch this topic, since she almost never dresses 50. So yesterday, I got a comment that a reader thought I was "too old for this look". Now first let me say that ALL COMMENTS ARE WELCOME. It is absolutely ok to post your opinion if you don't like something. I want that kind of feedback. As long at you're not rude and don't call me names - which this poster didn't - it's a-okay with me. It's the whole point actually.

After taking another hard look at the outfit in question, I have to respectfully disagree. I'm only 36, and I live in Manhattan. Nothing was too short or too tight or too trendy - the three hallmarks of Forever 21. But I do recognize that I am getting older (3 years to 40 people!) and my wardrobe will change over the next few years as well.

I did some research and found this great article on Flare.com with style tips for all ages. What I like about it is that there's no specific rules...like "no shorts over 40"...but great ideas on how to work with current trends and your own personal style.

For me, I just try to shop in places that are geared towards people my age and keep an eye on what women my age are wearing on TV and in Fashion. Heidi Klum is a favorite of mine to watch. She has great style but knows how to be casual too.

I'd love to hear YOUR thoughts on this issue. What do you feel you're too old to wear? How has your style changed over the years? Who are your style icons?

5 comments:

  1. I think that as long as you can pull it off, you look good and feel good fk it wear it and hope that your friends are brave enough to tell you if you look like a jackass if you do and you have to accept it

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's an interesting question. One of my BIG no's is any t-shirt with a cutesy/ironic logo. They are really for teenagers. No one else pulls them off well and you rarely see them on celebs over 25. But mainly i wear what I feel. I'm modest in general so I know if I go too young, at least it won't be skimpy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. From a man's perspective it's hard not to want to revert to jeans and a t-shirt after wearing a suit or jacket and shirt all week. There's so little variety with what we can do. A good jacket is always a winner. Throw it over a t-shirt and jeans and it immediately ages you and still looks caual and comfortable. You can even hide the ironic T under it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As someone who's about a million years old, I think about this all the time. Here's what I know, if I dress "my age" even using magazine guidelines: if you're in your 20s, 30s, etc. -- I would feel like I was crawling out of a JC Penny ad, just kill me now. On the other hand, rarely go sleeveless, or short, or plunging. Closest style icons for me, Diane Keaton but not as crazy, or Ellen, but not as gay

    ReplyDelete
  5. I definitely think you are only as old as you feel, and that attitude shines through in every ounce of what you put out there, including your dress. That being said, shine on 25, shine on.

    ReplyDelete